WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
Athletics – Welcome to Pronghorn Country
Strong, swift and enduring – the spirit of the pronghorn is legendary. It’s a spirit that lives within us all.
Pronghorn Varsity Teams
- Basketball (men’s and women’s teams)
- Hockey (men’s and women’s teams)
- Rugby (women’s team)
- Soccer (men’s and women’s teams)
- Swimming (combined team)
- Track and field (combined team)
If you are interested in trying out for a varsity team the best thing you can do is contact the coach early on. You can also go online and fill out the?Prospective Athlete Form?for more information.
Coaches recruit the majority of Pronghorn student athletes prior to the start of the season. However, each varsity team will hold an open try-out in the weeks leading up to their season. Visit?gohorns.ca?to see the schedule and to connect with a Pronghorn coach.
Have questions about the scholarships available for student athletes? The best thing you can do is contact the coach as every team is different and every scholarship has different criteria.?
A few Horns to watch:
- Jim Steacy (BASc ’09):?2-time Olympian (’08, ’12); Commonwealth Games gold medalist (’14); Pan Am Games gold medalist (’07); 11-time Canadian champion (’04-’09, ’11-’15); Canadian hammer throw record holder
- Ashley (Patzer) Steacy?(BASc ’15):?World Rugby Women’s Sevens Series dream team (’15); 2-time CIS player of the year (’06, ’09); 3-time CIS champion (’07-’09); Amsterdam World Rugby Women’s Sevens series champion (’15)
- Aaron Hernandez (tripe jump):?Canadian champion (’15); 2-time CIS champion (’14, ’15)
- Peter Millman:?CIS champion (shot-put); three-time Canada West champion; two-time Canada West field athlete of the year; Pronghorn male athlete of the year
- Para-athlete?Zack McAllister: Horns swimmer, is on Canada’s Para Pan Am Games and Worlds Team.
Stay fit and have fun!
There are a ton of opportunities for students to take part in: from competitive clubs such as golf, lacrosse and dance, to recreational activities like fencing, karate and curling. There are also several intramural programs to choose from, including favorites like floor hockey, dodge ball and ultimate frisbee.
Show your Pronghorn pride. Join the Herd, a student-led spirit squad that passionately supports our teams throughout the year. Meet new people, gain free admission to any Pronghorns games and cheer on our teams. Go Horns!
Prairie Baseball Academy
We are proud to be associated with one of the best collegiate baseball programs in Canada. The Prairie Baseball Academy attracts players from across Canada and the United States. If you are interested in learning more about the Prairie Baseball Academy, visit?prairiebaseball.ca.